Winter storms have brought snow, ice and dangerously low temperatures to Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. Here's how to help.

Can I contribute from my IRA, 401(k), or other retirement account to Fidelity Charitable?

You should always check with your own tax advisor or trusts and estates attorney because individual situations vary substantially. It is generally permissible to leave your IRA or other tax-deferred account to charity. At your death, the full value of the account would be included in your estate, but since it is being donated to a charity, it would generally qualify for the unlimited charitable deduction.

With any employer-sponsored retirement plan (e.g., a 401(k)), there must be spousal consent to leave the balance of your retirement account to a charity. You also must bear in mind the minimum required distribution rules, the needs of your beneficiary, and your financial needs during your lifetime.